Activity Backpack for Young Travelers (Ages 4–6)
We spent weeks finding just the right components to fill our Activity Backpacks for Young Travelers—one for ages 2-3 and one for ages 4-6. Guaranteed to provide hours—yes, hours—of fun and to keep kids busy on a plane, car, or train; or any time when they’re bored, restless, or run out of things to do. Best of all, everything can be used long after vacation. Each backpack is filled with dozens of activities, yet isn’t too heavy for a kid to carry—and we’ve left just a little space for a child’s own cuddly. Best of all, we (editors who often travel with young children) “road tested” each item on our own little ones. Dozens of items didn’t make the cut; these are the proven winners.
We’ve packed everything into a bright blue backpack (made with PVC-free cotton fabrics and toxic-free dyes) that itself is a multitasker: a drawstring closure under the flap (which is secured with an easy-for-little-fingers toggle), two exterior pockets, a D-ring (recycled plastic), and adjustable padded shoulder straps, 14” x 10” x 5”.
The bright blue backpack for ages 4–6 includes:
- A Go Fish card game featuring sea life illustrations that can be played alone as a matching game or with 2-6 players as a traditional “fish” game, taking turns. Players can fish for sea creatures (“Do you have any starfish?”), but each card also has a numeral on it, too, so kids can also fish for numbers. The 48 sturdy cards are packaged in a flip-top box with a Velcro closure.
- 1001 Things to Spot on Vacation book is packed full of things to find and count. Kids will spend hours seeking and finding the objects in 14 colorful double-page illustrations that show vacation scenes from around the world. Each little picture shows what to look for in the picture, and the number tells how many of those things to find: on the Camping page, find pancakes, sleeping bags, bats, and more; on the Beach Party page, find beach balls, watermelon slices, palm trees, and more. There’s also a puzzle at the back of the book with even more things to find throughout the book. There are 1001 things to spot altogether.
- The Animals of the World Puzzle to Go has 36 pieces, and comes packaged in a cloth storage pouch. Finished size: 9” x 12”.
- Your child will love reaching into the little On-the-Go Idea Box to find 15 wood coins with an engaging activity printed on each side: Draw a picture with your eyes closed; How long can you balance a snack on your nose or finger?; Pretend you’re asleep for 20 seconds. What did you think about? These 30 simple yet inventive ideas are a surprise every time and can be done again and again. Made in America, by a mom.
- So much creativity packed into one little drawstring bag. The Color Your Own Vintage Cars and Plane pouch includes three handcrafted natural wooden items: two cars that roll merrily along, a plane with a propeller that spins, and eight crayons that can be used decorate the vehicles. Use the crayons long after the cars and plane have been colored, and the vehicles can be played with throughout vacation and beyond.